The Sun Party – Inti Raymi
During the time of the Incas, the Inti Raymi or “fiesta del Sol” was the most important of the four festivals celebrated in Cusco, according to the Inca Garcilaso de la Vega. It indicated the beginning of the year, as well as the mythical origin of the Inca. It lasted nine days during which dances and sacrifices were made. The last Inti Raymi that counted on the presence of the Inca emperor was made in 1535. The Inca, with the help of the priests, “induced” the god Inti (sun) to return with the favor of his rays to fertilize the earth and procure the welfare of the children of the great empire of Tahuantinsuyo. The sacred fire was renewed with a golden concave bracelet that was placed against the sunlight. The sacred fire was taken to the Koricancha, where it would be preserved by the acllas. During the ceremony, the sacrifice of the flame was also made to predict the coming year. Then a great military march followed and at the end everyone retreated and burst into unrestrained cacophony for several days. Currently the Inti Raymi, as it could not be otherwise, has a different character, a show aimed at both tourists and local people. The representation, involving thousands of people, begins in front of the Koricancha or temple of the sun, where the fictional Inca (king) makes an invocation to the Sun. The spectators, meanwhile, wait in the Esplanade of Sacsayhuaman, await the arrival of the cortege. He enters the stage carrying the Inca in his litter by a group that represents the inhabitants of his four. Then the flame is sacrificed and the Inca invokes his father the Sun. He ends the ceremony with the final words of the Inca in the Quechua language.
Inti Raymi Festival 07 days / 06 nights
- June 22. – Arrival in Cusco, day at leisure to acclimatize to the altitude.
- June 23. – Tour in Sacred Valley.
- June 24. – Inti Raymi Festivity or Sun Festivity.
- June 25. – Nice journey to Machu Picchu
- June 26. – Return to Cusco city.
- June 27.- Tour of the city of Cusco
- June 28.- Transfer out.
Important.- The only date of the Fiesta del Sol or Inti Raymi, is June 24, take into account for your reservation.
Lima – Cusco
Prepare for this pleasant experience to the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
June 22: Reception at the airport in the city of Cusco, transfer to the elected hotel; Free day to acclimatize. Hotel night in Cusco.
Sacred Valley Tour
June 23: After breakfast, your guide will come to your hotel and start the tour to the Sacred Valley of the Incas. They will start the day with a nice experience visiting the handicraft market of Pisac, they will appreciate the local population that still maintains the Inca commercial system called “barter: commercial exchange of product by product”. And then we continue with the Archaeological Complex of Pisaq and then enjoy the picnic lunch, after a short break; We extend the excursion to the Archaeological Park of Ollantaytambo, at the end we will go to the train station to board the train that will take us to Aguas Calientes. On the way we will see beautiful snow chain, starting point of the Inca Trail, Inca terraces, which were used for agricultural purposes, finally we will arrive at the Aguas Calientes train station. Hotel night in Cusco.
Feast of Inti Raymi or “Sun Festivity”
June 24: The rise of Tawantinsuyo, the Pachacutec Inca set up the Sun God Festivity. People of Cusco currently celebrate the Inti Raymi festivity with the same devotion as their ancestors did, in memory to the great Inca civilization. It is an annual Inca Ceremony in Cusco, the capital of Tawantisuyo, between final of harvest and beginning of winter equinox in the Andes, it means in the middle of June. The Inti Raymi is compared as today the New Year celebration.
The festival in Sun God honor takes place on three historical and natural scenarios usually used for the staging:
- The Koricancha – Gold fence: in the Inca time this was the main Palace to the Sun.
- The Plaza de Armas – The old Auqaypata or Main of warrior: in this place all ceremony was celebrate in a big ushnu or ceremonial platform.
- Saqsaywaman – in quechua language “saqsay” and “waman” means quench falcon. This amazing archeological center is to 3,555 m.a.s.l. / 11,663 ft., a kilometer from Inca town of Qolqanpata.
The ceremony begins with formation of 4 regions (suyos) of empire: Qollasuyu, Kuntisuyu, Antisuyu and Chinchaysuyu – names in quechua language.
- Chicha ritual – Chicha is fermented beverage usually derived from corn.
- Sacred Fire ritual.
- Llama sacrifice and omens.
- Sankhu ritual (sacred bread)
- Q’ochurikuy (exaltation of people).
Return to Cusco
June 25: Very early in the morning after breakfast, our staff will pick you up from the hotel to transfer you to the Poroy station and take the train with a 3:20 hour trip. We will arrive at the small town of Aguas Calientes, our guide will be waiting for you to transfer them by bus (30 minutes) to Machu Picchu – one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Our guide will show you the amazing and enigmatic citadel of Machu Picchu. In the afternoon you will return to the majestic city of Cusco by train, where our friendly staff will be waiting and transfer you back to your hotel.
June 26.- Previous breakfast, optional visit to the citadel, you can visit the “Puerta del Sol”, the Inca bridge or climb the Huayna Picchu. Return train to Ollantaytambo and return vehicle to the city of Cusco. Hotel night.
June 27.- Breakfast in the morning. In the afternoon, our guide will be present for the excursion to the Imperial city of Cusco, we begin the visit to the Plaza de Armas, the Cathedral, the Temple of the Sun or Koricancha, typical and Inca streets; also visit the Archaeological Park of Sacsayhuaman, located in the upper part of the city and ideal for souvenir photos. Later visit to the Qenqo amphitheater, Puca Pucara fortress and the “Baños de la Ñusta” Tambomachay. Return to the hotel.
June 28.- After breakfast our staff will pick you up from the hotel to transfer you to the airport in Cusco and take the flight to the city of Lima.
- Transfers in / out.
- Mochila, sun cap and case for the itinerary.
- 05 hotel nights + breakfast in the city of Cusco.
- 01 night hotel in Machu Picchu + breakfast.
- Excursion to the city of Cusco + vehicle, income and guide.
- Excursion to the Sacred Valley of the Incas + vehicle, income, guide and lunch.
- Entrance ticket to the sun party, vehicle, guide and box lunch.
- Round trip train tickets, bus tickets, entrance to Machu Picchu, guide and lunch.
- Food not described in the program.
- Additional drinks. Tips (optional).
What to bring?
- A hand-held backpack.
- Light clothing and clothes.
- Drawstring, sunglasses, sunscreen and repellent only for Machu Picchu.
- Camara foto.
- Money in small denomination.